World Affairs

6/recent/ticker-posts

How to Write the Perfect Cover Letter


While you may not be able to customize your CV for every job application, your cover letter gives you the opportunity to do just that. Through your cover letter, you can let the employer know why you are uniquely qualified for the particular job vacancy that you’re applying to, making the cover letter more important than most people know.
 
It’s important to keep in mind that your cover letter doesn’t summarize your CV. Instead, it should put your CV in context, and let the employer know how your skills and experience reflect on your suitability for the role. Here are some tips from the career experts at the Middle East's #1 job site, Bayt.com, on building the perfect cover letter:
 

1. Start with an Introductory Paragraph

This is the most significant part of the letter, use it to grab attention.
Examples:
  • I am a qualified engineer, with eight years of experience and specialization in working in the civil engineering department in hotels.
  • At a recent lecture in ArabNet, your company's name arose repeatedly as one of the rapidly growing companies in the IT industry.
  • As a marketing assistant, I have developed my skills in public relation management, And I am known for being well organized by both my colleagues and management.
  • With just less than a few weeks until my graduation from the University of Riyadh with a BSc. in biology, I am eager to gain and learn some practical experience and apply my skills.
Tips:
  • Use this introductory paragraph to introduce yourself, your capabilities and your skills.
  • If you mention where you learned about the job opening, try to write a sentence or two about the research you did about the company. You will come across as someone professional who has done their homework.
  • If you are writing at the suggestion of someone who is known to the hiring manager, mention it. However, make sure you have permission to use that person's name.
 

2. The Body Should be About Two Paragraphs

The body can be up to three paragraphs long. Use it to list your achievements and qualifications. Remember to keep it relevant to the job and avoid exaggerations!
Examples:
  • My direct experience in generation reports would complement your need for the same, as listed on your job requirement. In fact, I have also been awarded the annual Reporter Award for my attention to detail.
  • I have a record of outstanding success in the management of corporate financial operations in multinational and international environments.
  • I have received several awards for my dedication and professionalism over the years, and continually received recognition for my communication skills and leadership excellence.
Tips:
  • Try not to use too formal a tone when writing your cover letter. Personalize it in order to show the prospective employer your positive and personal qualities.
  • The letter is only a few paragraphs long. Try to only include vital information that will directly show the hiring manger what you can do for the target company.
  • If you have been out of the workforce for a while, mention what you have done during that time, such as volunteer work, types of activities, conferences you have attended or private classes you have taken.
  • Remember to use active verbs!
  • Double-check for spelling and grammar mistakes.
 

3. End with a Strong Conclusion

The last paragraph is usually brief and is mainly comprised of a thank you message and a request for follow-up.
Examples:
  • My attached CV is a brief summary of my qualifications. I would be delighted to meet you for an interview, and will call your office next week.
  • I will call you next week to see if we can arrange a meeting. Thank you for your time.
Thank you in advance for your consideration. I may be reached at my home number indicated above should you desire to contact me. I would be happy to be available for a personal interview at your convenience.
Sincerely yours,
  • Regards,
  • Best wishes,
Tips:
  • State in the concluding paragraph that you will call on a specific week or day in the near future. You need to work for an interview!
  • Remember to thank the recipient for his/her time and co-operation.
  • Do not forget to attach your resume!
Once you have your cover letter ready, find out if your CV is in the best of shape, take the Power CV quiz.
Enhanced by Zemanta

Post a Comment

0 Comments